What legacy did Hosni Mubarak leave behind?
- Published on: Tuesday, February 25, 2020
- Hosni Mubarak, Egypt's president for almost 30 years who stepped down after a popular revolution in 2011, has died. He was 91.
Mubarak served as Egypt's fourth president starting in 1981 until his removal in what became known as the Arab Spring revolution.
He left behind a complicated legacy as his rule was partly characterised by corruption, police brutality, political repression, and entrenched economic problems.
The former president had long maintained his innocence and said history would judge him a patriot who served his country selflessly.
Abdelfattah Fayed, Al Jazeera's editor of Egyptian affairs, and Al Jazeera's senior political analyst Marwan Bishara analyse Mubarak's legacy.
- Subscribe to our channel: http://aje.io/AJSubscribe
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
- Find us on Facebook: /aljazeera
- Check our website: https://www.aljazeera.com/
#AlJazeeraEnglish #Egypt #Mubarak